Prepositions are the words which are used to connect the different nouns, pronouns and phrases in a sentence. It functions to introduce or precede the word or phrase to be connected, called the object of the preposition.
The preposition usually indicates the relation between the words it is connecting. It tells whether the words are connected in actual space or a place, or related through time or are they part of a thought or process.
Prepositional phrases are the preposition and its object and any adjectives or adverbs that were applied to the object. The prepositional phrase as a whole can also be used as a noun, adverb or adjective.
He found the book on the table.
She went to sleep early.
Her house was beside a steep hill.
Kinds of Prepositions -
- These prepositions are constructed by only one word like -
-On, at, about, with, after, for, etc.
- He found the book about dogs on the table, in the bedroom.
- These prepositions are formed by combining two words or two Simple Prepositions-
-Into, within, upon, onto, etc.
- The dog jumped onto the bed and left marks upon the sheets.
- These prepositions are two word prepositions.
-According to, because of, next to, due toetc.
- He was upset because of his son's behaviour.
- Participles are actually verbs that end with ‘-en’ or ‘-ing’. As these verbs were commonly and very popularly used as prepositions by the people, these verbs have been given a special status as prepositions.
-Considering, during, given, including etc.
-Considering what he had to work with, he did a pretty good job.
- These prepositions are a combination of the preposition + a modifier (optional) + the object. They are used to modify the nouns, verbs or sentences and also complete clauses.
- At home, in time, with me, from my father, under the blanket, etc.
- The clothes left on the bed have been ironed and kept back.
These classifications are based on the construction of the prepositions themselves. Apart from this, prepositions are also categorized based on their use in a sentence as -
List of Prepositions
Prepositions can only be learnt by memory; unfortunately there is no method or particular way to recognize and learn them. To help you with memorizing the different prepositions, here is a list of common prepositions.
At high speed
By all means
For a change
In accordance with
On a journey
Out of curiosity
To the best of
Demo modules of premium courses