Participles, Gerunds & Infinitives
Participles, Gerunds and Infinitives are called verbals. Verbals are words which are formed from a verb but which function as a different part of speech.
A participle is usually formed by adding –ing or –ed to a verb.It functions as an adjective.
- The singing bird was the main attraction at the event.
- The injured man was waiting for the doctor.
A gerund is formed by adding –ing to a verb.It functions as a noun.
- Swimming is very good for the body.
- Smoking is prohibited in the hospital.
An infinitive is formed by using the word ‘to’ before the verb in its stem word.It functions as a noun, adjective or adverb.
- He was made to clean his room.
- Shalini loves to talk.
Frequent searches leading to this page