10 Things Before an Interview
1. Do your research : As you know, one of the most important questions you can be asked in an interview is, “why do you want to work with us?” or “why do you want to join this company?” Stuttering through this question can be a definite deal breaker and to avoid this, you must know the company you plan to work with very well. This research can also come handy when negotiating salary, deciding on what to wear etc
2. Understand your job profile : Before you apply for a particular job, be sure to understand the job profile or description well. This will help you assess the kind of work you will be expected to perform and the salary you can accept.
3. Know your CV : You should know your CV like the back of your hand. Have all details like the posts you held, the projects you worked on, the companies you worked with, etc. memorized. Any questions related to you CV should be answered correctly with immense confidence.
4. Prepare your answers : Nervousness is a factor that must be accounted for. Prepare answers to commonly asked questions and practice them in front of a mirror or even better, ask a friend for help. Ensure you speak clearly and look out for body language and posture.
5. Decide what you are wearing : It is extremely important to select a dress that would be appropriate for an interview. Your first impression is based on what you wear. Dress according to the kind of job and post you’re applying for. It is better to be overdressed than to be underdressed for an interview.
6. Make sure your clothes are washed and ironed : Don’t make a last minute decision about what you’re wearing as this can be very stressful. You don’t want to find your shirt missing a couple of buttons, do you? The right way to proceed is to lay your clothes out the previous night and ensure they’re in good condition, washed and ironed.
7. Make your travel arrangements :Plan what time you want to leave and what form of transportation you’re taking. Ensure you chose a route that is least congested, so that you can reach well in time.
8. Carry resume / certificates / briefcase : Before leaving, check your briefcase for all essential documents and carry multiple copies of the same.
9. Reach before time : Reaching twenty-five to thirty minutes early allows you to remain stress free and calm. It also allows you to check your appearance and compose yourself before the interview.
10. Switch off your cell phone or turn it on silent mode before entering the room: Do not forget to either switch your phone off or put it on silent mode. A ringing mobile phone or even one that vibrates on a table can be extremely distracting for you; it can also annoy the interviewer.